Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 20. The week from hell.

Have you ever been in the car on your way to daily obligations while drive-crying?  I enjoy the drivers of cars who are passing me and acknowledge my wailing insanity with a swift kick to the gas pedal. If anyone had warned me about how stressful this week would be, I would have never believed them.  Just when you think things can't get any worse, they inevitably do. 

But I know life will get better, because...it just has to.

I've been on the treadmill several times this week and besides yesterday have been doing yoga pretty routinely to try and knock back some additional stress.  My favorite time during yoga is when my daughter crawls on my stomach during floor poses and starts to bounce up and down taking the wind out of me.  Sometimes she snuggles up right in front of me if I am on my side directly on the yoga mat and tries to mimic what I'm doing. It's a great time rolling around the floor with her and I'm feeling very limber.

It seems like my stress has become similar to those cell phone commercials where the mom is freaking out about her teenage kids and husband not using their roll-over minutes.  Except my roll-over stress follows me every week and I wish I could get rid of it like that woman's family does with their roll-over minutes (ie. hiding them in the backyard grill, throwing them away, etc.)  Wouldn't that be a treat!

Even with all of the normal stresses of life, I feel confident about my family and my life.  This is just a particularly hard week and I will make it through like I always do.


Over 12 hours later:  I typed the first portion of this blog roughly 14 hours ago and was interrupted and never made it back to finish until this morning.  Baby girl is sleeping longer than she normally does and I think this will be a good time to work on a little exercise.

I made tzatziki yesterday and it came out great!  I then couldn't pry myself from the kitchen so I gave my best attempt at gnocchi.  It was a total bust because my gnocchi came out very (very) strange.  Hubby said they were alright, but maybe I just don't enjoy the dumpling like texture of them to begin with.

Here's how I made my tzatziki:
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
3 tbsp of finely chopped mint
1 tsp sugar substitute
1 cucumber
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic mashed

To start, peel the cucumber and cut it lengthwise. Spoon out all of the guts and seeds then cut very thin. Place the slices of cucumber into a bowl and sprinkle salt over top and mix salt in, let stand for 15-20 mins.  The salt will take out any bitterness of the cucumber and leave the sweeter side.  Mix the Greek yogurt, mint, sugar, and garlic into a separate bowl (use as much or as little mint as you want to--I used roughly half of the called for recipe and any more would have been overwhelming to me).  Once the cucumber has gotten soft from the salt and time is up, rinse the cucumber thoroughly and drain.  Add the cucumber to the mixture and serve cold.  Enjoy!

1 comment: